We are pleased to announce the 2019 summer oral history workshop. The workshop will be held at the SFA headquarters on the University of Mississippi’s campus in Oxford from July 21-26, 2019.
The oral history workshop is open to beginning and intermediate oral historians. Undergraduate and graduate students, professors, educators, and SFA members are welcome to apply. Students will be introduced to the field through SFA oral histories and documentary examples. Participants will learn SFA methods and approaches to oral history, audio recording skills and techniques, and an introduction to digital photography. The workshop will culminate with an oral history fieldwork trip in the Oxford area.
Oral history provides a unique opportunity to cultivate speaking, writing, and critical thinking skills. If you have an interest in gaining fieldwork experience or enhancing your existing skills, we invite you to apply. The application deadline is April 8, 2019.
We strongly encourage students of color to apply.
SFA documents stories of the diverse communities throughout the South, and we believe it to be equally important for oral historians to represent that diversity.
- Dates:July 21-26, 2019
- Location: Oxford, MS
- Application Deadline: April 8, 2019, 5 PM CDT
- Notification: By April 26, 2019
Cost of Workshop
- Student Participants: There are no workshop tuition fees for students. Upon acceptance, a stipend will be provided to students. Traditionally these stipends have been up to $500 to offset the cost of travel and lodging.
- Non-Student Participant Fees: $600 tuition fee for accepted applicants who are not currently enrolled in a college or university. Please note that travel, lodging, and meals are separate expenses and are the responsibility of participants.
- Lodging/Travel/Food:Lodging options include dormitory-style suites that provide each participant with a private bedroom and bathroom. Transportation and food are the responsibility of the participants.
All applications must include:
- A current resume or CV
- Answers to the following questions:
- Tell us about your interest in oral history fieldwork.
- Why are you applying to the SFA workshop?
- What do you hope to learn at the workshop?
- How will you apply this training after the workshop ends.
Click here to apply. If you have any questions regarding the workshop, please email Annemarie Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Through the generous support of SFA member Edward Lee of Louisville, Kentucky, we are pleased to be able to offer two full scholarships to applicants of color who are currently enrolled in a college or university. These funds fully cover the workshop, travel, and lodging. To be considered for a scholarship, please indicate this interest in your application.