We are pleased to announce the 2019 SFA Documentary Film Workshop. The week-long workshop will be held at the SFA headquarters on the University of Mississippi’s campus in Oxford from July 14-19, 2019.
The documentary workshop is open to aspiring and beginning filmmakers. Undergraduate and graduate students, professors, educators, and SFA members are welcome to apply. Workshop participants will learn documentary filmmaking best practices through hands on learning, culminating in short documentary film projects. The workshop is taught by the SFA’s Pihakis Foodways Documentary Filmmaker Ava Lowrey. All production and post production equipment and training will be provided during the week-long workshop.
Last year’s workshop participants documented Chicory Market, a local farmers market store, along with the market’s vendors and farmers. This year’s workshop will focus on women-owned restaurants in the Oxford, Mississippi, area.
If you have an interest in gaining documentary filmmaking experience or enhancing your existing skills, we invite you to apply before the application deadline on April 12, 2019.
We strongly encourage students of color to apply. SFA documents stories of the diverse communities throughout the South, and we believe it to be equally important for filmmakers and content creators to represent that diversity.
- Dates: July 14-19, 2019
- Location: Oxford, MS
- Application Deadline: April 12, 2019, 5 PM CDT
- Notification: By April 26, 2019
Cost of Workshop
- Student Participants: There are no workshop tuition fees for students. Upon acceptance, on-campus housing during the workshop will be provided to students.
- Non-Student Participant Fees: $600 tuition fee for accepted applicants who are not currently enrolled in a college or university. Please note that travel, lodging, and meals are separate expenses and are the responsibility of participants.
- Lodging/Travel/Food: Lodging options include dormitory-style suites that provide each participant with a private bedroom and bathroom. Lunch will be provided on three of the workshop days and one group dinner will be provided by the SFA. Transportation and all other food are the responsibility of the participants.
All applications must include a current resume or CV along with a cover letter that addresses the following:
- Tell us about your interest and any previous experience in documentary filmmaking.
- Why are you applying to the SFA workshop?
- What do you hope to learn at the workshop?
- How will you apply this training after the workshop ends.
Send your CV or resume and cover letter to Ava Lowrey, firstname.lastname@example.org by April 12, 2019, 5 PM CDT