Nicole Du Bois is a commercial food photographer from North Carolina. While working as a marketing assistant for restaurants she became intrigued by the culture surrounding and influencing food. Her experiences fueled a curiosity and desire to document food and food culture.
Her current academic and career focus is on documenting both editorial and commercial food stories using photography and multimedia. While interning with SFA this summer, Nicole will create a short documentary film highlighting Vishwesh Bhatt, Executive Chef at SNACKBAR in Oxford, Mississippi.
At the end of July, Nicole will graduate with an AAS in Commercial Photography from Randolph Community College in Asheboro, North Carolina. In 2014, she earned a BFA in Photography from UNC-Greensboro. To see Nicole’s photography, visit her website at nduboisphotos.com.
Nicole’s final film will be featured online later this summer.
To get to know Nicole better, we asked her a few questions.
- What was your favorite childhood toy? Growing up, I loved pretend cooking and being creative. My favorite toy was a plastic stove at my great-grandmother’s house (using Play-Doh and bb gun pellets as play food) along with the infamous red chair that was the source of many scuffles between cousins.
- If you could rule the world for a day state something that you’d ban. Systemic Racism. That one is pretty self-explanatory.
- Which planet in the solar system would you visit? Well, since Pluto isn’t a planet anymore, I’d want to visit Mars.
- Which person from history would you most like to meet? This question is so difficult to answer because I want to meet so many historical figures. Today, my heart is telling me to go with Beatrix Potter. Her books and illustrations influenced me to create and tell stories as a child. I think that influence has stuck with me into adulthood.
- What is your favorite film? I watch a lot of documentaries. Right now, I have two favorites. An Honest Liar and Jiro Dreams of Sushi. Both made me rethink how I see the world, in very different ways.