The SFA learned of John Egerton’s passing yesterday morning. We are grieving, but we are also overwhelmed with gratitude for the legacy that he left us. Click here to read SFA director John T. Edge’s remembrance, printed in today’s New York Times. Below, we offer a half-dozen more tributes to the late John Egerton.
1. From the Nashville Tennessean, Egerton’s hometown newspaper. (Born in Atlanta, Georgia, Egerton spent most of his adult life in Nashville.)
2. From New Orleans Times-Picayune restaurant critic, food writer, and SFA board member Brett Anderson.
3. From Kathleen Purivs of the Charlotte Observer, who admired Egerton’s work from her earliest days as a food writer, and later came to know him as a friend.
4. Egerton’s work influences Southern chefs as much as it does journalists and academics. To wit, Garden & Gun‘s tribute includes quotes from Sean Brock and John Currence.
5. From Jennifer Cole of Southern Living, who last interviewed Egerton a year ago for a feature on the founders of the SFA.